Two Simple Tricks to Play on Procrastination

Everyone has those days where you just don’t think you can lift one more finger or squeeze in one more thing to promote your business, and yes, succumb to procrastination!

You’re dog tired and beat from running yourself through the churn of chores, tasks, appointments and events.

And when the day is finally winding down you might think, ‘How on earth can I start working on my business now, when I’m completely rung out?’

But you know your ‘Why‘, you know in your heart that you must persist, and you believe in your dreams enough to see them to fruition.

So there are a couple of things you can do when you are feeling stuck in the mud, no wind in your sails or lift in your spirit.

Put Procrastination on Pause

First, take a breath.

Relax your mind and give yourself a few minutes to unwind, change clothes, and wash up, stretch, work out, whatever it takes.

While doing this, begin to think of your priorities. By that I mean your action plan – what is the most important thing on your list, looming large and intimidatingly keeping you from starting it?

Now, think of the one small step you can take toward starting it!

Just a step is all, and think in terms of JUST FIVE MINUTES. Give it JUST FIVE!

Now do what it takes to focus on exactly that thing, that first step, for that amount of time, and give it your FULL attention for at least that long, no interruptions, no email, phone or Skype.

But then you might be surprised at what happens next. You’ve gone TEN! Even TWENTY!

And then that large and looming task suddenly has momentum, and doesn’t seem so daunting anymore.

Action vs. Procrastination

Another thing to do to stop procrastination in its tracks is to tackle the little things, you know, those things that so easily clutter your day and pile up on your list if you don’t keep ahead of them.

In those few minutes that you can spare, (take FIVE one more time), tackle some of that, get organized, and do just ONE MORE LITTLE THING that will help you shave something off of your list for tomorrow.

Don’t write something down on your to-do list that will take just as long to knock out!

Even if you’re completely brain dead tired, there’s usually just one little thing you can think of that you COULD do….. Then once you’ve done it, that accomplishment alone is sometimes enough to have you doing two or three more!

Trust me, there are SO many nights when I feel I just can’t do any more.

But then I look at my list, see those leads I have not called, and pick up the phone……

What happens so often is that I make a really great connection with someone who is so happy that I called!

Now you can just imagine how that fuels my fire, lifts my spirits, and makes me happy that I did do that ONE more thing that night.

So get to it, think about your one thing, and get off your keester! Remember….

“Action will destroy your procrastination.” (Og Mandino)

And even if you aren’t in the frame of mind to tackle business activities, think in terms of the motivation you get from reading from powerful personal development books or audios.

Because it is so easy to procrastinate, be very careful and Don’t Let Procrastination Steal Your Business!

I hope this has inspired you to kill that evil procrastination, destroyer of accomplishment, and replace it with powerful intention and positive momentum!

Wishing You Brilliant Success!

Procrastination Buster

32 Responses to “Two Simple Tricks to Play on Procrastination”

Read below or add a comment...

1. Stacy says:

That’s a very good strategy, Vicki. It’s amazing how focusing on one thing that you can do really gets the ball rolling. Once you get that one thing done then you have the motivation to get even more done! I’ve really been noticing that in a lot of different areas of my life as I’ve been tackling the procrastination bug.

Hi Stacy!

Indeed that one thing usually does get the ball rolling doesn’t it! That’s the beauty of these strategies. And momentum kicks in which makes the next little step or task a bit easier than the last. And it applies in all areas of life, not just the business activities. Sometimes challenging ourselves to do more is like putting a bit of fun into it!

Thanks for stopping by, great to see you as always!

Wishing You Fabulous Success,
      Vicki

2. Thank you for this important reminder. It is so easy to succumb to overwhelm and fall into inaction. Your insight about focusing on just one small step is brilliant. That’s exactly what we need to kick-start our productive momentum. Keep shining your bright light, Vicki.

Hi Louis!

Thanks so much for dropping by, great to see you again! It is indeed so easy to be overwhelmed and fall into inaction, as I have seen for myself! Those little steps are so key in creating productivity…

Thanks again for your comment – Come back soon!

Wishing You Fantastic Success,
      Vicki

3. Gerald Gigerl says:

Hey Vicki,

love to see how honest you are regarding your own procrastination. Sometimes we just sit comfortably in front of our computer but we just don´t know where to start because there are so many things to be done.

You gave there an excellent advice that worked out super well. Last time I was so darn confused and have no clue what to do next, I did exactly what you suggested above. Went for a walk with my dog, and boom after that I was completely focused and knew what to do.

The truth is if you are stressed out or in hectic you just can´t help yourself, the only thing that can help you is doing something that releases your tension.

How good is that?

It´s seems hard to stand up and take some rest, especially if we have so much to do, that it is likely that taking some time off will procrastinate it even more. Fortunately it´s exactly the opposite :)

Fabulous post, thank you for giving us this gift and chat with you soon.

Gerald

Thank you Gerald!

You are so right, when it may feel as if we are procrastinating more, getting a bit of fresh air or otherwise clearing our heads is a great way to find that initiative to get the ball rolling again!

Great to see you as always, thanks for your added value here!

Wishing You Brilliant Success,
      Vicki

4. Hey Vicki,
    Great advice, just take the first step, and putting procrastination on pause to take a little time out is good. Doing a short meditation would be good at this point. It will rejuvenate you and you’ll be more focused.

Coach Freddie

Hi Freddie!

You are right, it only takes a bit of time to rejuvenate and clear the head, and when you get back to it it will be with much more focus! And taking that one step at a time, staying on that slight edge is what makes ALL the difference!

Thanks for stopping by once again, great to see you!
      Wishing You Tremendous Success,
      Vicki

5. Great read Vicki! Lately my main concern wasn’t been of procrastinating stuff for the sake of it, but mainly for overabundance of things to do. That’s why I think it’s very important to develop the ability to find the right priority among what you have to do. I read many suggestions on this line, and they all go along the way of finding the most cumbersome task you have and just do that as first!
    Once you put the most dreaded stuff out of the way all the rest comes natural and much easier.

Hi Gabriele!

You know I hadn’t thought of it but you’re right, getting the big stuff out of the way first makes all the rest easier. And I’m struggling with an overabundance of things to do as well so that’s usually helpful to get those big tasks at least started first!

Great to see you as always, thanks for stopping by!

Wishing You Brilliant Success,
      Vicki

6. Sue Price says:

Vicki I love your ideas here. I was feeling totally like I wanted a day off yesterday so the feeling is vivid in my memory. Action certainly does overcome it and you have some good tips on how to get into action when we do not feel like it.
    I think everyone has times they feel overwhelmed or just plain burnt out.
    Thanks as always for the great tips.
    Sue

Thank you Sue!

Sometimes we absolutely do need some cool down time but it’s a tough balance to create sometimes between relaxation and procrastination isn’t it!

Great to see you again, thank you for stopping by to comment!
      Wishing You Fabulous Success!
      Vicki

7. Your post is so very true in many ways Vickie, procrastination has caused many of ships to pass me by, but for alot of people getting back into gear is easier said than done, your tips above should help alot people get off of their bottoms and take action before their ships pass them too, for time waits for no one.

• Ooops! Sorry I spelled your name wrong Vicki:-)

• Vicki says:

Quite Alright Delicia! Thanks for stopping by!

You are so right, and you remind me of this great quote:
        “Procrastination is opportunity’s natural assassin.” ~Victor Kiam

So if we’re not careful, while we are procrastinating we’ll let things slip by that could open the door to our greatest success!

Thanks again for stopping by, great to see you!
        Wishing You Brilliant Success,
        Vicki

8. John Engle says:

Hi Vicki,

That photo you have represents me on some days… my procrastination hits best when I need to attempt to communicate with others. Isn’t that terrible to say? My weak area is not SEO, but the building relationships part of my business.

I thank you for this article… I will put your advice to work for the relationships building part of my business!

John Engle

Hi John!

Yes that photo spoke to me too, definitely me some days!

And you know, I think that procrastination can set in on that particular part of our business for anyone. As for me, I like to communicate with people when I am feeling my best, and often that is a rare thing at the end of a hard day’s work! But if I take time to rest up a bit, those connections are made so much better and easier!

Glad to know you’ll be putting more energies toward that!

Wishing You Brilliant Success,

9. Hi Vicki!

Thanks for inviting me back to your Blog…I will recall your words the next time I’m ready to shut down my laptop. :)

Whenever my brain is totally ‘wrung out’, I revert to tasks that are relatively easy to accomplish…adding friends, etc.

Have a highly inspired day…your tribal friend Steven Suchar

Hi Steve!

Glad to see you back! And I agree, sometimes the brain is only suited for those little tasks, the ones that are easy to accomplish but that you like to stay ahead of, as you mentioned, adding and accepting friends, etc. So that’s what I do when I am feeling like shutting down completely! Then it’s at least another half hour usually, and I’ve still managed to shave a little off the top :)

Thank you for stopping by!

Wishing You Brilliant Success,
      Vicki

10. Nat says:

Love it, action will kill procrastination… makes sense doesn’t it. I know I can at times be a huge procrastinator, sit for days pretending to do things, pushing this over here and that over there…… And then before I know it it’s Thursday and no posts or anything else has been done.
    This is great, even to just remember those small words Action Kills Procrastination, will keep me moving and what better way to beat it!
    Great post
    cheers
    Nat

• Vicki says:

Thanks Nat! You got it, action definitely kills procrastination! I can compete with the best of the procrastinators but my habits have changed making it easier for me to take action instead, most of the time! Pushing things around doesn’t help either, like you said, next thing you know it’s near the end of the week and you’ve not done your work yet!

Thanks again for stopping by, great to see you as always!

Wishing You Fabulous Success,
      Vicki

11. Hi Vicki.. I love your post it’s worth the read.. That is truly an effective strategies there is. I usually give myself a 1 or 2 minutes of silence a day just to clear my mind… well, thanks a lot for sharing another great post here…

Hi Zutchelli!

This has proved to me to be my most useful tool for sanity sometimes! Silence is golden as they say!

Wishing You Tremendous Success,
      Vicki

12. Michelle Morgan says:

Hi Vicki. Silence makes me think wide and helps me stay calm for just a while. Thanks for sharing this great post of yours..

• Vicki says:

Thanks Michelle! Yes reminders help, and maybe you can carry it in your pocket when you need to find that calm center! Think wide, I love it!

Wishing You Brilliant Success,
      Vicki

13. Bryan Salek says:

Vicki,

These are great tips that I’ll immediately put into practice. Thank you!

Bryan

14. Anonymous says:

Thanks for these tips Vicki – very much appreciated

15. Bob says:

This was such a humorous, yet truthful article. I know I’ve looked like that dog quite a few times lol. Thanks for the ‘wake up’ call.

16. You’re right! Taking it one small step at a time makes it easier to deal with, because we don’t get intimidated by the amount of work that has to be done. Everyone has had to deal with procrastination one way or the other but that doesn’t mean that it is okay to do it, because it will come back to haunt us.

17. If any of these tips don’t work you can always try to procrastinate productively. When you get the urge to not do anything productive for the day think of something you would love to do when you are resting that could still do well for your job or your personal life. If you love reading while you rest, why not read a story about a person with the same job as you. That would get you in the mood right away!

Leave A Comment...