How to Use LSI Keywords to Boost Your SEO

LSI keywordsLatent Semantic Index, or LSI keywords will boost your SEO, improving your search results page rank, when used in conjunction with your primary search term.

While Latent Semantic Indexing is a rather intimidating term, it is really quite simple, not nearly as threatening as it sounds.

What are LSI Keywords?

Simply put, LSI keywords are those which are commonly related to the keyword phrase that you have targeted for your article or post. Google’s search engine uses the presence of these words within your article to determine it’s relevance to the search term used.

How and Where Should LSI Keywords be Used?

Using as many as 20 to 30 of the LSI keywords within your post will highly improve your search engine page rank. You can use these words within your article, your meta tags, and image tags.

Assuming that you have chosen your primary keyword phrase, and that you have included that in your post title, as well as your first and last paragraphs, you’ll use these LSI keywords throughout the remainder of your post.

Where Can You Find Help With LSI Keywords?

There are many ways to come up with lists of these related LSI keywords. One way is to read through a couple of highly ranked eZine articles found at the top of the first page of Google’s searches results, and make a list of all of the words in that article which are related to the search term used.

Another method is using the Google Keyword External or Wonder Wheel tools. I’ve provided a little walk through video here, since many people still have not had much exposure to the Wonder Wheel.

Another post you may enjoy, Three Keys to Improving Your SEO includes other tips on improving your SEO aside from your LSI keywords.

Using LSI keywords will boost your SEO, as well as enhance your Alexa ranking because of the perceived relevancy of your targeted keyword term.

If you are doing any kind of internet marketing then it’s important to include LSI keywords in your posts and articles in order to improve your search engine optimization.

About Vicki

25 Responses to “How to Use LSI Keywords to Boost Your SEO”

Read below or add a comment...

1. Beth Hewitt says:

Hey Vicki,

I heard this tip many months ago and somehow forgot it with all other other info inside my head so thank you for reminding me that I need to get in to the habit of doing this more often.

Yours In Success,
    Beth
    .-= Beth Hewitt´s last blog ..Reasons Why You Need a Blog Part 3 =-.

• Vicki says:

Hi Beth!

Great to see you today, thanks for stopping over to comment! I know, it’s something I kind of forget about too – I sometimes just write on a whim and not worry too much about keywords, so it’s kind of a reminder to myself to do more of my writing around the keywords!

Have a Happy Independence Day weekend!
      Vicki

2. Ryan Yokome says:

Hey Vicki,

I heard Tim Atkinson use this term a few days ago. I have to admit, I pretty much suck at SEO. I personally enjoy taking the route of hiring people to do it for me. haha

Great video, I took away lots, especially with improving on Article Marketing.

Thanks Vicki!

• Vicki says:

Hi Ryan!

I know what you mean, I felt like I just didn’t pay enough attention for SEO for a long time, it seemed to take the fun our of writing. But the truth is, it isn’t really at all difficult to do!

I am glad you got a lot out if it, thanks for stopping by to visit!

Wishing You Every Success!
      Vicki

3. Atul K says:

Nice Post Vicki…

4. Sofia Saide says:

Fab post Vicki, really useful stuff and so simple, will definatly give this a try with my posts.

Cheers

Sofia Saide

• Vicki says:

Thank you Sofia!

You’ll have to let me know how it goes. LSI keywords are so easy and so important as it turns out!

Thanks for stopping by and connecting here!

Wishing You Brilliant Success,
      Vicki

5. Mor says:

thanks for sharing.

never heard of the wonder wheel before.

until now i only used the ~ sign before a keyword to generate LSI keywords

thanks

Mor

• Vicki says:

Thanks for stopping by Mor!

I had never heard of using a ~ before a word to generate LSI keywords, interesting!

Wishing You Brilliant Success,
      Vicki

6. Man I feel like a rookie, I really didn’t even notice that Wonder Wheel feature you talk about here and in your other post.
    I believe I will have lots of reading to do (and to suggest to people) in the weekend.
    As usual, thanks Vicki.

• Vicki says:

LOL! Thanksk Gabriele! I’m glad you found some useful stuff here!

Have a fantastic weekend and I’ll be seeing you around!

Wishing You Brilliant Success,

7. John the SEO Blog Tips guy says:

Hey Vicki,

As many times as I have looked at your article here, I didn’t realize that I didn’t comment… shame on me!

Along the lines of LSI, back a couple of years ago I was doing PPC advertising, and at that time I had a method of coming up with different variations of my chosen keywords and their phrases through the use of a Google tool. For the life of me, I can’t remember what the heck I did, but it made it very easy to come up with phrases I would have never thought of.

If I happen to remember how I did this, I will pass it on to you, because it was absolutely awesome the way that the Google tool did it, and it made life so much easier when it comes to chosen phrases to use in your articles.

Have an awesome day!

John Engle

• Vicki says:

LOL John! And of all things your comment here ended up in my spam folder and I just found it! Whew… glad akistmet is practically empty these days, that conditional captcha plugin really saves me there!

Anyway do let me know if you come up with your LSI keyword method, I’d love for you to add it here!

Thanks for stopping by, great to see you as always!

Wishing You Wonderful Success,

8. Jose says:

Hello there,

Very informative post – Thank you – I remain in doubt with regard to one issue: should I use LSI Keywords in all my category and post titles (wordpress)

Thanks again,

Jose

• Vicki says:

Hi Jose,

No I would not strive to use LSI keywords in the title or categories, they mostly support your target keywords.

Best wishes for your success!
      Vicki

9. Peter Rubel says:

I had almost forgotten the Google Wonder Wheel.

Admittedly I have thrown in as “extras” various competitive keywords, when queried on posts and articles for tags and keywords. But I think that practice is a bit like casting seed on pavement unless my sites start ranking in the big league, PR 5 and above. My scant experience with the Wonder Wheel is that it seems better suited to PPC folks with deep pockets. The choices are often too competitive and when migrating down an arm, the topic seems to diverge rapidly (usefully or not) or to come full circle. Or misspellings seem useful, but only for meta tags and PPC.

Of course competitive keywords and synonyms often flow naturally when composing content, and Google is often “smart” enough to pick up on these. But my goal and focus has been to target one promising keyword per piece of content and let the other keyword chips fall where they will.

And yes, occasionally I too have discovered a closely related and promising keyword which I have added belatedly to content and tags. These to date I have found without the Wonder Wheel, though if I spent more time with it, might develop greater proficiency and discover more gems in the ore. For my purposes though, I expect the tool will prove more useful when ferreting out keyword phrases of perhaps 4 to 6 words. Too few words and the competition tends to rise exponentially. Too many words and the tool may show no branches.

• Vicki says:

Thank you for your insights Peter!

As a way of merely suggesting related keywords I suppose it’s innocuous enough, but I’m sure you can’t take too many of the wonder wheel’s suggestions literally or you’d definitely end up diluting your efforts

Thanks again for stopping by, and for your added value!

Wishing You Continued Success,
      Vicki

10. Justin says:

I have recently become affiliated in SEO work so I don’t really know too much about it. These tips will surely help me optimize results. Are there any other reputable sources in which I can learn from?

11. Grazina says:

I did not know about the Wonder Wheel either, good to have another source of keywords. It looks like a mind map, one of my favourite tools, and makes it really easy to see the options.

I agree with you, Vicky, that you should not take any of the results too literally; it may not only dilute your efforts, it can affect your writing style negatively.

Thanks for the video, and for sharing the information.

• Vicki says:

Oh dear Grazina! I think I need to update this post now, it seems the Wonder Wheel isn’t around anymore! I guess Google tossed it for some reason, so let me know if you see it anywhere!

And you’re right, never take your results too literally, and it’s definitely a continuous challenge writing for the bots vs humans!

Thanks for visiting and for your comment!
      Wishing You Wonderful Success,
      Vicki

12. Alan Graner says:

Vicki,
    Thank you for your easy-to-understand explanation of LSI keywords. As a professional writer I appreciate the elegance and conciseness of your writing.

13. anonymous says:

Hello,

Great article you have posted here which is related to LSi. I am not heard about before came to this blog. so i thanks to you save my time.

Thanks

14. charjan says:

thanks for sharing,i will certainly use your method for better ranking.

Leave A Comment...