Top Ten Rules of Success With Social Media Marketing

social media marketingSocial Media Marketing Has its Place

Social media marketing has grown to be a standard for promoting most well known products, services and opportunities.

But for home businesses, it is often abused by overzealous marketers, especially by newbies who thwart their own efforts unknowingly.

These guidelines, as expressed by most experts in the internet marketing industry (though not necessarily in this order or format) are highly recommended if you do not want to waste your efforts.

Following these rules for social media marketing will ensure that you get the best return on investment from your social networking efforts, assuming that you already have a strategy and a plan of action.

For a more step-by-step description of how you should get things started, see “Getting Started Properly in Social Media Marketing“.

Basic Social Media Marketing Blueprint

Once you know your target market, your purpose, goal and strategy, your plan of action to implement your social media marketing  should follow these guidelines to make the most of your efforts:

1 – Never Spam! Do not abuse new friends and contacts with a pitch or your product or opportunity.

And it is particularly presumptuous and unprofessional to post your product ads or business opportunities on someone’s social networking profile!

It makes you stand out as an amateur, and will get you ignored, un-followed, or worse, blocked.

2 – Personalize your profile – If you want to grow your network of followers and build trust, do not turn your profile into a billboard for your biz-opp and/or product.

You should instead be yourself and personalize your profile with a few things that let people get to know you. And be sure to provide solutions to the problems experienced by your target market!

Building your personal brand takes time and involves a degree of persistence and consistency! Social media marketing starts with ‘social’ for a reason, and you must build trust first and foremost.

3 – Build Relationships – Use social networks to increase your reach, and get to know people through casual personal contact. If you truly plan on long term business relationships, you must allow these relationships to grow naturally.

Relationships come first in social media marketing business comes second! You may have heard the adage that you must build ‘know, like and trust’. Well, this is how you build the ‘know’ part.

4 – Provide Value – To build the ‘like’ part of ‘know, like and trust’, you must provide some kind of value, whether it be educational, entertaining, or enlightening. Even if it is from another source, just give credit to that source! The trust will follow when you provide value with consistency, visibility, and honesty.

5 – Join groups which are part of your target market, and CONTRIBUTE to the groups (and remember Rule #1, DO NOT SPAM!)

6 – Make contacts / friends with people in those groups.

7 – Post your content from your various posts on your blog to your social networks and groups, increasing its SEO by frequent updates. Social networking is one thing but Social Media Marketing requires some work. If your content has value then it will be syndicated.

8 – Comments on members’ posts in group(s) and on their blogs, vote and promote their content. Follow up and thank everyone who  comments on your content, or promotes and helps to syndicate your content!

9 – Stay Visible! – Be persistently consistent with your presence and your message.

10 – Grow your Content Syndication Network through syndication tribes such as TribePro allow you to get your content in front of more eyes by others in the tribe syndicating your content throughout their tribes. Once it is deemed valuable to be syndicated beyond those networks, then your content will have gone viral.

Social Media Marketing with Personal Branding

It may take you a while to develop your personal brand, and to become more confident and consistent.

Getting your social media marketing campaign going is one thing, but it has to be a perpetual, persistent and consistent effort to truly be successful!

About Vicki

33 Responses to “Top Ten Rules of Success With Social Media Marketing”

Read below or add a comment...

1. Teresa Paetznick says:

Vicki,

This makes a lot of sense and seems to be a consistent message as I’ve been reading through a lot of different articles on social media. Well written. Cheers!

2. Craig Fourie says:

Fantastic site! Thank you for your tips!

3. Thanks Vicki, You have covered what everyone needs to know when starting any form of internet networking with precision and clarity.

And even those who may already be actively networking through online social media spaces can always be reminded of the fundamentals of social etiquette.

I still have a lot to learn about syndicating blogs with social media and so I’m especially interested in exploring No 10. I have the Twitter Badge on my blogs, but as tweets are constantly updated they are quickly lost * So I’ll take your advice and start posting anything relevant from my social media sites to my blogs now.

I’ll also pass this article on to a friend who has just started Twitter. And of course RT at Twitter.

• Vicki says:

Hi Alison!

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your comment, and your sharing it! I’m just stumbling upon this comment when I normally have replied to everyone at least almost,

I am sorry I missed yours all that long ago! I hope you are doing well and I wish you Fabulous Success!

Vicki

4. Martin Bastin says:

Vicki…I like your stuff

5. Anonymous says:

Hi, good article. I think the number one rule among the ones you have listed is: build relationship. This encompasses all the other rules. Without having a mindset of building a relationship with the audience, then your digital property will tend to violate the rest of the rules.

Do you agree?

• Vicki says:

I wholeheartedly agree! It is essential after all, social is social, not commercial! Relationships is the basis of success in this industry. It is a personal development skill that can be learned by anyone, even those who have trouble with creating and maintaining them. I will be adding more on this particular area in the Personal Development Skills section.

Thanks for the comment!

6. Network6 says:

Social media allows individuals to gain exposure and interact with other professionals in a particular field. Great networking resource!

7. paul says:

Cool blog, enjoy following it greatly!

8. Deepak Adiipl says:

great article this one.I have got such a idea about SMM for my site and also client site too.Thank you!

9. Rosanne Reid says:

Hi Vicky,

THanks again, you are always sending helpful and interesting post.

10. Brooke Young says:

i have tried social media marketing for getting our new products to be known on the market. it seems to work well specially if the audience is targeted .

11. I really like these 10 rules or suggestions. A lot of people STILL misunderstand social media marketing. It is NOT a sales tool, it is a networking tool, for making connections and helping people. And I think if people follow these rules Vicki, they will be on their way to doing it right.
    .-= Fiona Bosticky´s last blog ..Simple Tips for Increasing Traffic to your Blog =-.

• Vicki says:

Hi Fiona!

Thanks for stopping by and for your comment – you are right, many people do perceive social media as a sales venue but this is where they go seriously wrong! This approach only serves to work against you.

Thanks again and I wish you awesome success!

12. Bob Santero says:

Vicki, I love what you have to say about Social Media. It’s so important that someone speaks about it. And you are that person. I continue to look forward to reading more of what you say.
    .-= Bob Santero´s last blog ..Here’s The Latest News! =-.

• Vicki says:

Hi Bob!

So good to see you again, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I know, with so many people jumping into social media for the purposes of marketing it’s important not to start off on the wrong foot, it’s a fun and prosperous community only if you treat it well!

Wishing You Wonderful Success!
      Vicki

13. Vicki if you keep posting such valuable content I am gonna end up filling my Delicious account with just your blog’s posts :)

14. Brady Bryant says:

it is very important to have professional sales training to have a boos in sales on your business*`;

15. Ray Bordley says:

Learning alot from you Vicki, I think i’m gaining a clear understanding on how to use the internet as a tool appose to a crutch. Thank you.

• Vicki says:

Thanks Ray! Glad you are finding my information hepful! If you have any questions or challenges that you struggle with in your attraction marketing methods, please let me know and I will be sure to address them.

Wishing You Brilliant Success!
      Vicki

16. Joanie Dhillon says:

It is always irritating when someone friends you and then puts up a spam message on your page! I like how you said not to post your biz opp or product onto your page. Thanks for the great post.

Joanie

• Vicki says:

Oh I know, and I continue to get them LOL! It is sad since that kind of annoyance is what has given this industry a bad name :(

Thanks again Joanie, I so appreciate you!

Wishing You Fabulous Success,

17. Willie Thoompson says:

I have tried Social Media Marketing for some time now with some sucess and I promise you it will be very hard to do without some professional sales training, and knowing how to present your product professionally, to your already targeted audience, and then you must stay on top of your game to prove that your product is worthy, and after a lots of consistancy you may realize some sucess.

18. Chris says:

commenting on statuses and likeing your friends stuff is a good way to make sure what you post new will be seen by them, Facebook is smart and made an algorithm to help you.

19. For the love of all things social media do not spam no one likes it. If anything it will drive away contacts and customers. Bad idea all around. Don’t spam it’s not worth it.

Trackbacks

1. Top Ten Rules of Success With Social Media Marketing…

Social media marketing is quickly growing in popularity for promoting many products, services and opportunities. But it is often abused by overzealous marketers, especially by newbies who thwart their own efforts unknowingly. These guidelines, expresse…

2. [...] of all, if you have been doing your social media marketing correctly, you will not even have to make very many friend invites. I have plenty of friend [...]

3. [...] from Vicki Berry, IZon Marketing http://mlmdreamsaver.com/2009/07/the-top-ten-rules-of-social-media-marketing/ GA_googleAddAttr("AdOpt", "1"); GA_googleAddAttr("Origin", "other"); [...]

4. [...] you have even begun to learn about Effective Social Media Marketing, you would realize that relationships are absolutely critical to your long term [...]

5. William Lucas mlm Blog » Blog Archive » Facebook Rules for Adding Friends says:

[...] of all, if you have been doing your social media marketing correctly, you will not even have to make very many friend invites. The Facebook Rules for adding [...]

Leave A Comment...